Saturday, November 1, 2008

Print to Web

I was reading a couple of days ago the New York Times article about the end to the daily printing of Christian Science Monitor. This is the first paper to end circulation, but I have seen other signs of things to come. I usually have my students in my World History class subscribe to a major news magazine such as Time or Newsweek. This year, we could not get a student subscription to either and now they are reading Upfront published by the New York Times. I actually like it better, but why the difficulty in giving subscriptions to our students? I have, however, moved to teaching my students to use RSS feeds and social bookmarks, which actually seems to be easier.

The change in CSM may not actually affect my students. I have liked the accessibility of the paper because of the size and length of the articles. CSM is already one of our news feeds. I have used CSM since high school, especially liking the coverage of world events.

"The Monitor is an anomaly in journalism, a nonprofit financed by a church and delivered through the mail. But with seven Pulitzer Prizes and a reputation for thoughtful writing and strong international coverage, it long maintained an outsize influence in the publishing world, which declined as its circulation has slipped to 52,000, from a high of more than 220,000 in 1970.The Monitor is an anomaly in journalism, a nonprofit financed by a church and delivered through the mail. But with seven Pulitzer Prizes and a reputation for thoughtful writing and strong international coverage, it long maintained an outsize influence in the publishing world, which declined as its circulation has slipped to 52,000, from a high of more than 220,000 in 1970."

Good luck, CSM. I look forward to continued use in a new format.

No comments: