Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Horse or Cart




Yesterday, I was giving a faculty workshop on web 2.0 tools. First, I gave an introduction to Firefox and tabbed browsing. We then moved on to Google applications for teachers. We started with iGoogle and gadgets and then started on other applications that could be used. I think as teachers learning technology, it is difficult for us to first learn technology for its own sake, think about how we could use it in our own lives, and then think about how to teach the students to find meaning and purpose in these tools and then apply the technology in their own lives. I then have work with many different levels of ability and interest in a faculty workshop and then levels of willingness to apply and integrate technology in the classroom.

I also have a difficult time communicating my own experience and joy of really seeing these applications work as more efficient tools for learning without sounding like a nut. I want them to have that epiphany but also see how the web can be a great tool for them as teachers but also fellow learners.

One comment was made which is worth discussing. A colleague, who is very thoughtful and careful with his words, said that we have to think about how we teach this technology to our students. At what point are we setting the cart before the horse? I do understand this predicament. I guess, at what point are we teaching our students technology for its own sake? Moreover, at what point do we set our students lose with technology while they are still learning the steps of the research process, learning how to evaluate resources, learning content? I guess I feel I am comfortable seeing new ways for students to create, express, analyze. I feel comfortable teaching these students tools to be more effective learners. News feeds are a wonderful way to research current events and blogs. They could apply outside of school in their own lives with keeping tabs in their own social networks. Social Bookmarking is another way to learn how to not only find useful sites and have them follow you, but also to have others be your filter. Google Docs and Notebook is helpful for research, bookmarking, and early outlining. Moodle is great for experiencing online course mangagement, class chats, forums, posting, journals, assignments, online help, wikis, etc. The fact is our students are already immersed in this world, especially our girls with Facebook and MySpace. Isn't this teaching skills of interaction with people and online content but through the course?

I am still feeling my way as a go, but I haven't seen many concerns when working with the students. The difficult part as a teacher is yes there are times when it is about the technology, but with that tool comes learning, participation, and student teaching more than I provided before.

Are we teaching for them or for us?

No comments: